Grandma's Cabin, Genealogy by Nancy Machuga

Pension Application for Samuel Andrus

State of New York
Steuben County
            On this sixteenth day of October in the year one thousand eight hundred and thirty-two, personally appeared in open court before the judges--the Court of Common Pleas--now sitting Samuel Andrus a resident of Prattsburgh in the County of Steuben and State of New York age seventy-three years who first being duly sworn according to law, doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefits of the Act of Congress passed June 7th, 1832.
            That he resided in Kent, Litchfield County and State of Connecticut.  That he volunteered with the whole company of militia, under Capt Fuller, Lieut Lewis Mills, Col. Hinman command, marched to New York in July 1776, was discharged in August served one month.
            In the Spring of 1777 went as a substitute in place of Deliverance Andrus who was drafted, now deceased, from Stillwater in Saratoga County, State of New York--went on a scout from Fort Edward to Jessups Patent and through the woods up the east branch of the Hudson River.  Col. Warner was commander.  Being a stranger and young have forgotten the company officers names. Was gone 15 days.
            In 1778 he resided in Wyoming and volunteered. Col Butler, Capt Asa Whittlesey, Lieut Gailor and Ensign White were his officers.  Was in the battle of Wyoming with the Indians, was wounded by a musketball through the upper part of the left thigh.  Some of the bone scaled off.  After the battle was carried down the Susquehannah River in an open scow with the other wounded about one hundred miles to near Middleton where my wound was badly drest [dressed] by Doctor Calkins.
            Twenty one days after there was three surgeons sent from the Army who opened and drest my wound again.  Our Army capitulated at Wyoming upon condition that they should not serve again during the war.  I was drafted twice afterwards but was not allowed to serve because of the above capitulation.  Was in service and disabled by my wound more than three months.
            In the winter of 1780 being at New Hartford, Connecticut I took the place of Samuel Benham who was drafted as his substitute, marched to Albany in New York for the purpose of guarding or escorting the prisoners of Burgoynes artillery to New Hartford—was there discharged after serving fifteen days.
            The above four tours of duty make in all five months and the papers herewith sent will show three months in the regular service.
            He has no documentary or written evidence and knows of no person whose testimony he can procure who can testify to his services.
            He hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present with the papers herewith sent for three months in the regular service and declares that his name is not on the pension roll of the Agency of any state.  Sworn to and subscribed the day and year aforesaid.  (Signed) Samuel Andrus
Three months' service:
            That he enlisted in the Army of the United States in December 1776 under Capt Chappell, Lieut Dodge and Ensign Whittlesey.  He then lived in Kent, Litchfield County, and State of Connecticut.  He spent the time of his enlistment at Norwalk and White Plains-back and forth-served three months.

Return to Opening Page for Grandma's Cabin

Return to Opening Page for Three Rivers

Copyright © 1998, -- 2006. Nancy Machuga and Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.