Samuel Stull was born in New Jersey in 1787 and died
in 1864 in Roaring Branch, PA. His earlier lineage has not been proved
but there is the claim he was either a son or a grandson of Captain Jacob Stull
(Stoll) of New Jersey who settled after the Revolutionary War in the Town of
Southport, Chemung County, N.Y.
Samuel married Mary P. ______ who was born on 10 October 1792 and died on 29 October 1875. They were the parents of the following children: Mary Anne, Rebecca, Levi, Lewis, Thomas who was born in 1816 and died in 1904, Henry who was born on 9 March 1819 and died on 14 July 1897, and Cornelius who was born on 21 October 1831 and died 10 November 1900.
Although there is no information on Rebecca Stull, there is material about her siblings. Her sister Mary Anne Stull was born in 1817 and died in 1917. Mary Anne married Sanford Withey and they had seven children. Levi Stull married Chloe Manly and they had one son and one daughter. Lewis Stull married and had a family including a son Alex. Cornelius Stull married Jane Watts and they had one son and three daughters. Thomas Stull married Myra Manly and they were the parents of Abigail, Thomas, Samuel and Freemont Stull.
Henry Stull (1819-1897) married Mary Jane Stratton. Shortly after their marriage they, accompanied by Henry’s brothers, left Blossburg, PA on horseback and traveled to Old Joe Hill outside of Roaring Branch, PA where they settled on what is known as “Stull Ridge”. Each brother cleared a farm and raised a family.
Henry and Mary Jane Stull were the parents of eleven children, four sons and seven daughters.
1. Levi, the oldest son, was born in 1844 and died in 1914. He married Harriett Tebo who
was born in 1847 and died in 1926. They had two daughters and four sons.
2. Sarah, the oldest daughter, was born in 1847 and died in 1913. She married William
Maley, born in 1834 and died in 1900, and they had a daughter.
3. Clara, the second daughter, was born in 1851 and died in 1881. She married first George
Stickler who was born in 1844 and died in May of 1878 when he was killed in an
accident on the McIntyre Plane near Ralston, PA. They had two sons and a daughter.
Clara married second Ben Peffer and they had a daughter.
4. Emma, the third daughter, was born in 1852 and died in 1914. She married Kelroy/Kilroy
Hopkins who was born in 1844 and died in 1904. They had five sons and three daughters.
5. John, the second son, was born in 1854 and died in 1911. He married Lizzie Turvey
and they had ten children, five sons and five daughters.
6. Jane, the fourth daughter, was born in 1857 and died in 1909. She married Clay Herman
and they were the parents of seven sons and one daughter.
7. Lucy, the fifth daughter, was born in 1850 and died in 1918. She married Fred Ebersole
and they had four sons and four daughters.
8. Nettie, the sixth daughter, married a Mr. O. Howard and they had one son.
9. Jesse, the third son, married Minnie Herman and they were the parents of one son and
10. Mollie, the seventh daughter, married Myron Purdy and they had four sons and four
11. Harry, the fourth son, married bertha Irwin and they had two sons. After Bertha’s
death, Harry married second Florence McNett and they had three sons and one
Many of the early Stulls and their descendants are buried in the Stull Cemetery on Stull Ridge, Old Joe Hill, Roaring Branch, PA.
Return to Opening Page for Grandma's Cabin
Return to Opening Page for Three Rivers